At Liberty Baptist Church we count it a blessing to take the name Baptist because of its history and tradition of placing the scriptures above all else when it comes to doctrine and practical Christianity.
What is a Baptist? Here is a list of what are known as Baptist Distinctives or things that Baptists are traditionally known for.
- Biblical Authority– We believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God and that it has been preserved on earth in every generation (Ps. 12:7). We also believe that the King James Bible is the preserved word of God for the English speaking people, and because of the fact that we have God’s word we can base our lives and ministries completely upon it.
- Autonomy of the Local Church- This simply means that our church is independent and does not answer to any denominational body. We are a self-sustained and governed body of believers whose head is Christ (Col. 1:18).
- Priesthood of the Believers- Every born-again child of God has direct access to Him through Jesus Christ. We do not need any man or woman to be the go-between. The Bible tells us that when we become Christians, God lives within us and our bodies are now his temple (I Peter 2:5).
- Two church ordinances- We believe in only two ordinances or observances; baptism by immersion and the Lord’s Supper. Both of these ordinances are merely symbols and do not play any part in salvation. Baptism is a public act in which a person who has accepted Christ declares that they are now a Christian. The Bible gives several accounts of people getting baptized and in every instance they were immersed, or put under the water. The Lord’s Supper is also a symbol of the death of Jesus Christ and a testimony of each believer showing they have received Him.
- Security of the Believer- We believe that God Secures each and everyone who puts their trust in Him. That simply means once we are saved, we are always saved! the Bible says in John 10:28 “And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand”.
- Saved and Baptized Church Membership- Local church membership is reserved for those who have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Savior and have been baptized as the first step in obedience to God. Church membership is a commitment to God and fellow believers, and should be taken seriously.
- Two offices of the Church- The two offices of the church as described in the Bible are the Pastor and Deacons.
- Separation of Church and State- God has established both the church and the civil government, each with its own area of influence.
Some other things we believe…
- Salvation by grace through faith– Salvation is obtained first by coming to the realization that we have sinned and because of that fact, we are destined to hell. When Jesus died on the cross, He did so to take the punishment for sin. When we believe that there is no good work that we can do to earn heaven or erase our sins, then we ask Jesus to forgive our sins and to cleanse us from them. By faith we accept His perfect sacrifice on the cross in exchange for our imperfect life and receive Him as our only hope of an eternal home in heaven. The Word of God says in Ephesians 2:8 & 9 “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast”.
- The free-will of man- At Liberty Baptist Church we believe that when God told people to “choose this day” whom they would serve, that He was acknowledging the fact that humanity had the capacity to make choices. We absolutely reject the notion that God created some people to an eternity in heaven and others to eternity in hell and that these individuals have no choice in the matter- a doctrine known as Calvinism or Reformed Theology. The Biblical record does not support this view and we believe that it is contrary to the revealed nature and practice of God. God said that He is not willing that anyone would go to hell, but that He desires all to come to repentance (II Peter 3:9). We also believe That once born again we should make our choice to serve the Lord with all our heart and all our soul, until the day he takes us home.
- Soul Winning – We believe everyone saved ought to want to share the Good News of salvation with others. the Bible says in Proverbs 11:30 “The fruit of the Righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise”.